Grand Ages: Medieval arrives on Mac this month
I can call medieval times many good things, as they offered us some really cool castles and provide the setting for some excellent movies. But “grand ages?” What, with all the disease and famine and beheadings all Highlander-style? I’m not sure life was really all that grand before penicillin and plumbing.
That’s not stopping Kalypso Media from bringing Grand Ages: Medieval to the Macintosh, however, with a launch date of April 20th.
Offering aspiring emperors epic battles, cunning diplomacy and relentless conquests, Grand Ages: Medieval “… will test Mac players’ strategic minds as they advance through the High Middle Ages by utilizing construction, research, expansion and conquest in an area extending from Scandinavia and North Africa; to Portugal, the Caucasus and the Middle East.”
It is the year 1050 AD. At the beginning of the High Middle Ages development in Europe has seen an unprecedented level of progress as a rapidly growing population spreads across the length and breadth of the continent. New frontiers are being explored, settlements founded and vast trading routes established. As the head of one of these small settlements, it falls upon you to lead your people towards greatness. Explore a vast world, gather resources, encounter other societies and use your trading expertise to expand and make your fortune. Found new cities, progress your nation with inventive technology and protect your trade routes against barbarian attacks until you are powerful enough to begin your conquest over Europe and forge a bold new empire.
And here that all is again in handy bullet point format:
- Explore a gigantic game world of over 20 million square kilometres, plot strategically where to found important cities and defend your kingdom against foreign powers
- Raise an army and fight your opponents with knights, archers and cavalry
- Produce and trade 20 different goods to meet the demands of your citizens and soldiers: such as coal, fruits and pottery
- Research and utilise 50 major technological advancement of the Middle Ages: including the three-field crop rotation, the low warp loom or the longbow
- Face devastating natural disasters like storms, fires, volcanoes, droughts, earthquakes…or even the Black Death
- Challenging Multiplayer Mode for up to 8 players
Of course, in the middle ages, winter was pretty much a natural disaster. But that’s what makes it fun for us now, right? Especially when you can share it with others?
Grand Ages: Medieval for Mac will be available April 20th as a digital download for $39.99. A limited edition boxed version is also available, but it looks like that doesn’t support the Mac. For more information on Grand Ages: Medieval, visit www.grandages.com.